Grilled Bacon Meatballs
- 1 package bacon - strips cut in half
- 1 cup (250 grams) cream cheese
- 1 pound (.45 kilograms) ground beef
- 12 mini bocconcini
- 10-12 large button mushrooms - last on the list, leave them out if necessary Toothpicks or skewers
For the herb mix
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, thyme and parsley
For the spice mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper powder or Broil King BBQ Spice Rub
- Clean mushrooms then cut out stem in circle shape, spoon out gills, make a bowl. Place mushrooms on a baking sheet, season the inside with the spice mix. Mix cream cheese and half of the herbs in a bowl. Spoon a thin layer of cream cheese into the mushroom.
- Season the ground beef with the remaining herbs and spices, mix. Flatten a small portion of ground beef in the palm of your hand. Place a bocconcini ball in the middle, wrap the beef around, form into a meatball, should be smaller than a golf ball. Place the meatball in the mushroom cap, press down firmly. Wrap each meatball with 2 half slices of bacon, pin with a toothpick.
- Setup your grill to cook indirectly, place a pan under the cooking grids on one side of the grill, fill pan halfway with water. Preheat to MEDIUM 350°F (177°C), with the burners opposite to the pan.
- Smoke Note: If you want smoke, add a smoker box and wood chips below the cooking grid on the lit burner side.
- Place the meatballs on the grills about 1-in (2.5 cm) apart from each other, allows even roasting. After 40 minutes, if you want to add your favorite BBQ sauce, this is the time. Add sauce then let it dry in the heat for 5 minutes. The bacon should be firm and chewy. Remember, skewers can save you a lot of work by putting several meatballs on one skewer.
- Tags: Starters
- Cameron Mitchell