- 1 bottle (24 oz.) of Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice / 1/2 of a fresh lemon, squeezed
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free crushed chocolate wafers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 packages (8 oz. each / 2 cups) of cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. all purpose gluten free flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup pomegranate syrup
- 1 fresh pomegranate
- Leave your cream cheese out to get to room temperature.
- Combine the pomegranate juice, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium-low heat until the juice has reduced to a syrupy texture that coats the back of a spoon. This can take up to an hour.
- Preheat your grill to 350°F preparing to use the indirect grilling method. (If you have four burners, turn on the outside two. If you have three burners, turn on the outside two, leaving the one in the middle off. If two burners, turn on one only).
- For the crust: In a small bowl use a fork to combine the crushed chocolate wafers with the salt, melted buteer, and coconut oil. Mix until all of the crumbs are wet.
- Spray your springform pan well with non-stick spray then press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan, and up the sides as far as you can go. If you have an old-school metal measuring cup with a flat bottom, that will make your life easier, if not, using your hands works too. The crumb mixture should evenly cover the bottom with no gaps, and should stick to the sides of the pan. Set the crust into the freezer to set while you amke the filling.
- For the cheesecake: Cut the cream cheese into smaller cubes and put them into a large bowl with the sugar, flour and vanilla. Blend with amixer until well combined. Add the gg, pomegranate syrup, and sour cream, beating at low speed until smooth.
- Pour the filling ito your crust lined pan.
- Wrap the bottom of the springform pan in tinfoli to ensure that it is watertight. Place the pan into a baking dish that can hold the cheesecake in the springform pan and some water. An 8-inch springform pan will fit into a 9x13 pan with loads of room for water.
- Place the 9x13 baking pan with the cheesecake onto the grill above the unlit burners, then add hot water carefully to the pan making sure not to get it into the batter.
- Bake the cheesecake in the water bath for about 60 minutes using indirect heat. You can test the doneness of your cheesecake by carefully jiggling it. If the center-inch still moves like jello you're ready to pull it out.
- Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and allow it to cool in the springform pan for about 15 minutes, then remove the sides of the pan and cool another 15 minutes. Chill for at least an hour. Do not out it in the freezer.
- Top the cheesecake with fresh pomegranate pods and the remaining pomegranate syrup.